Convertible Fury - 1970

It's not that heavy, maybe 30-40 lbs If memory serves there are two brackets bolted to the frame rails, two bolts each side. Plus there is the gas tank filler attached to the center of the bumper. Also unplug the tail lights.
Great news! Thx. I have all the bolts loosened. I was just waiting to see how many helpers I needed for removal.

Great news! Thx. I have all the bolts loosened. I was just waiting to see how many helpers I needed for removal.
I have a sliding scale for removal/installation.

Removing from a car headed to the body shop for paint only requires one person.

Removing/installing on a car with nice paint requires two people. One to hold one end while the other holds and removes bolts.

Installing on fresh painted car requires three. Two to hold the bumper and one to direct and install bolts.

It came off without too much trouble and a little help from my son. The back of the car looks very bizarre without it. There is minor body damage all over this car, but this corner looks tricky to fix. I think the bumper is slightly tweaked from the same collision. I can't see it clearly, but when I measure from the sides to the center, it is a little shorter on that side.
20171202_133016.jpg
20171202_132943.jpg

20171202_132943.jpg

That's a tough fix as it's right on the corner crease. And if you actually look closely down that quarter, you'll see that metal push inwards away from the corner, and then you'll have a spot that bulges out a bit (the pushed in metal has to travel somewhere). You can try and massage that metal out with a hammer and dolly, and then use some filler to recreate the corner line. You obviously want to use as litter filler as possible. As far as your bumper is concerned, a good chrome shop will work out the dent if you went the rechroming route on the bumper (not sure if you think it's worth it or not.)

Yeah, it's really rolled up there on the corner. The other side also has some minor damage, but the corner is still nice and sharp.
20171202_132949.jpg
20171202_132926.jpg
20171202_132911.jpg

As suggested previously it looks like something you could work from the inside and get it close as damn.T edious work but doable. Take the extensions off, park your butt in the trunk with a selection of dollies and go to work. Those long straight creases on the drivers side could be just as much of a challenge. My .02.

I don't mind tedious work, but last time I tried body work, I made it worse. So am hesitant to start banging on it. I do have a hammer and dolly set though. Hard to believe those tools could reshape that corner.

Last time I tried body work, I made it worse. So am hesitant to start banging on it. I do have a hammer and dolly set though. Hard to believe those tools could reshape that corner.
Unless you plan on putting some filler over your work and then blending in the paint, don't do it. There's no way to get those giant panels perfectly straight with a hammer and dolly unless you're a master at it. Which I'm clearly not.

With a few gentle hits from a body hammer I can make it totally un-fixable! That's why I don't touch bodywork or paint.

It still gives me the willies when I think about the "body work" I did on my Barracuda in high school.

20171202_132943-jpg.jpg

that won't be too bad a fix for a pro. it will take some strong rearward pressure while tapping the high spot. that will take the stress off the quarter panel. i bet your bumper has a good twist on that side.

Here is a little before and after on the bumper. I ground off as much surface rust as I could reach, used a wire brush in other areas, and then did two phosphoric acid treatments. Next step is to wash it really good. Usually I paint after the acid treatment, but I might not do that here because these areas don't seem to have been painted originally. I left the brackets on so I don't have to readjust when I put it back on.
2017-12-02 13.32.09 rotate.jpg
2017-12-12 18.36.11.jpg

Anyone have a set of the six screws that hold on the tail light lenses they want to get rid of?
I've been repairing the light fixtures. I replaced all the sockets on this one.
20171229_161347.jpg

I've got these exhaust hanger pieces but the parts that hang down and holds the exhaust are long gone. Anyone know a source?
2017-12-30 14.20.24.jpg

It took me the entire Georgia/Oklahoma game to mask this bumper insert.
2018-01-01 18.22.35.jpg

Back