Flooding carb help needed!

Might well be the chain, as I think it's the original.
First time I'll be changing a chain on a car, so I'm a bit worried. Looks like a bit job, with lots of bolts that may decide to break, or am I getting ahead of myself here.
No, you are correct. It is a bit of a job...

Awesome... also good news for me, as I'll have to import the parts, none available locally. What do you guys think of this, instead of the chain:
51KwsQ6EF7L._SL1500_.jpg

51KwsQ6EF7L._SL1500_.jpg

No need for that complexity.

A billion gazillion OEM stock replacemen standard dual chain Cloyes installed and still going strong.

Man those gears are outrageous and don't slip or jump...and I kinda like the "whine" sound it makes. Still a double roller (or single for yours) cloyes chain will more than suffice for your job....I'm using one, no complaints.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll let you know once I've sourced a chain and installed it.
I'm wondering if the car could have 'hydraulicked' with the fuel in the pistons, and broken the plastic teeth on the cam gear. I believe our SA cars came with the plastic toothed gears.

North American engines came with the nylon teeth too. It was to keep the engine more quiet. Always replace the nylon with steel teeth. I also run Cloyes and no issues.

Hi again. My parts finally arrived, and I installed the new chain and gears. What I found once everything was off was scary. The cam sprocket had about 10 teeth left, and the rest were either stuck in the chain, or scattered inside the timing cover! Amazing that she still ran, even though she was noisy as hell. I guess me revving the engine when she started, after the flooding, spun the old severely cracked nylon teeth of the old gear.

Once everything was bolted up again, she fired up first turn and runs super quiet one again. I am one really happy camper.

While on the jacks, I also upgraded to a 70 models disc brakes, so now she can stop as well as she goes.

Thanks once again for all the input and advice.

IMG_4981.jpg

Hi again. My parts finally arrived, and I installed the new chain and gears. What I found once everything was off was scary. The cam sprocket had about 10 teeth left, and the rest were either stuck in the chain, or scattered inside the timing cover! Amazing that she still ran, even though she was noisy as hell. I guess me revving the engine when she started, after the flooding, spun the old severely cracked nylon teeth of the old gear.

Once everything was bolted up again, she fired up first turn and runs super quiet one again. I am one really happy camper.

While on the jacks, I also upgraded to a 70 models disc brakes, so now she can stop as well as she goes.

Thanks once again for all the input and advice.
that is ugly. I've never seen a timing chain sprocket that beat up.....even on a 300K car.

Back