hidden headlight gears....info

Took it apart many times to clean the bearing and make it run again etc. I do have a red cam with a "half rounded" gear. The teeth on the far let side are missing so it could be the issue. Bec. of these teeth missing the "metal-snail-thread-driver-thing that runs the gear) can´t drive the gear on the far end on the stop limits to make the cam cut the contacts. May I be right?

View attachment 485346
Yes , that would be the reason. You can still get those gears on eBay.

AD114DFB-8117-4D2C-9DD7-7A23F87A1D03.jpeg

welp finally got headlights working properly...turns out both hidden headlight relays l had were toast....
Picked up a 5 pin bosh style relay and hooked it up as per diagram below and found out l hada swap the two leads to motor over to get it to open properly as doors would open on OFF position and close on on position...anyway was just a matter of switching 2 wires thank god
View attachment 350357
anyway blue and yellow wire go to 87A
black with red tracer to 87

k....have low and high beams..doors close and open properly...just used one relay and added the 30 amp breaker from original setup....any reason l shouldn't just leave it and call it a daY if it works??? these diagrams with 2 relays are screwing with my brain...relay for high and a relay for low beam????
personaly am of the mind if it works with one relay just fine don't screw with it...anyway am happy hidden headlights are finally workin..:D
welp finally got headlights working properly...turns out both hidden headlight relays l had were toast....
Picked up a 5 pin bosh style relay and hooked it up as per diagram below and found out l hada swap the two leads to motor over to get it to open properly as doors would open on OFF position and close on on position...anyway was just a matter of switching 2 wires thank god
View attachment 350357

k....have low and high beams..doors close and open properly...just used one relay and added the 30 amp breaker from original setup....any reason l shouldn't just leave it and call it a daY if it works??? these diagrams with 2 relays are screwing with my brain...relay for high and a relay for low beam????
personaly am of the mind if it works with one relay just fine don't screw with it...anyway am happy hidden headlights are finally workin..:D
View attachment 350357

Can you tell me the Bosch relay type number? I think I will need to replace mine too..

Ah very sharp!
You posted a picture of the relay under the steering column. But it shows 2 relays, what is the funtion of the second relay?
It was for the electric trunk release. Long story short is I had a keyless system to unlock the doors and trunk. All was good for a while and then the cheap electronics failed and I pulled it all out.

So, the original relay works, opens and closes the headlight doors. However, when lights are on and thus the doors are open, the relay starts to buzz after a while and seems to cause a short circuit. Engine starts to run bad, and lights flicker.
No problem, since there are modern relays as described above.
I´ve read all posts here and on other sites, and think to know how to connect the new relay. But it will only open the doors, not close them. If I change the terminals then they will close. And then won´t open.............
What am I doing wrong?

When connecting the old relay, the doors open and close like they should. To bad it creates a short circuit..

So, the original relay works, opens and closes the headlight doors. However, when lights are on and thus the doors are open, the relay starts to buzz after a while and seems to cause a short circuit. Engine starts to run bad, and lights flicker.
No problem, since there are modern relays as described above.
I´ve read all posts here and on other sites, and think to know how to connect the new relay. But it will only open the doors, not close them. If I change the terminals then they will close. And then won´t open.............
What am I doing wrong?

When connecting the old relay, the doors open and close like they should. To bad it creates a short circuit..
Headlight Relays with Hidden Headlights

Hello everyone I'm new here and looking came across this thread from searching. I restore car front ends and hang them on walls but only ones with hideaway headlights since I love them so much. I'm working on a 81-83 Imperial and a 90 New Yorker and can't figure out how to make the headlights come on with activating the headlight motor? First off are the motors virtually the same from the 90s back to the 70s? The 81 Imperial looks the same but the 90 is slightly different but still has two wires. I'm using a AC to DC power supply so if I follow the schematic from a earlier post will it work?
Thanks in advance!

A.) I would contact: stephan.fournier@videotron.ca, (E-Mail) He rebuilds these units and has the parts. Last one I had done was $199.00 + $60 for the gear set. He is in Canada, so you might just want him to rebuild your unit as he does a really nice job.

B.) The headlight motor relay is located directly above the park brake at the top of the under dash. If you remove the cluster and the tube for the driver side A/C vent, you can just see it, PIA to get at and get out. Replacements are pretty much impossible to find as they are the same unit shared with the Dodge Charger. Last one I saw for sale was $499. There are some threads on this site about adapting a Bosch relay.

Dave
I just bought the relay for my 69 300 hideaway headlights on ebay for $49.
Look for the 69 lincoln., Same relay. Works great

I just bought the relay for my 69 300 hideaway headlights on ebay for $49.
Look for the 69 lincoln., Same relay. Works great

its my understanding that the hidden headlights on a 69 lincoln are vacuum operated not electric ?? got an item # from ebay to show us ?

Last edited:
Back