How long can this fuel line be

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Fuel line in yellow. QUESTION:This is just a mockup, but how long can this be (fuel line dist between the pump & carb)? The pump is standard 383/440 carter fuel pump with output at 6-7psi. I'm experimenting with the routing to get away from heat sources but I also do not want to accidentally create a fuel starvation problems. Anyone know this from past experience? Graci.
the one_a.jpg

the one_a.jpg

NO. Like the damn flexible brake line it should be obvious to everyone. I'm not gonna go into a doctoral thesis on how to plumb a gas line to the fuel pump from the carburetor.

I've seen that routing on fuel lines before. I know the owner and he isn't having any issues. I know it looks unconventional but I'm curious about your aversion to this approach Stan.

ya im about to do the exact same thing this weekend, my new carb and fuel pump will be here tomorrow. I like the fuel pressure gauge inline,, nice touch. but figure the gas is already travelling 17 ft from the tank to here,,,, how much line is too much? I also bought 1000 degree F heat wrap to wrap my line . . . I was driving ~50mph the other day and my car starved out. Would not start again. 3 hrs later when it was cool, it started right up and ran until hot again..

I've seen that routing on fuel lines before. I know the owner and he isn't having any issues. I know it looks unconventional but I'm curious about your aversion to this approach Stan.
I've seen more than a few guys/cars who have a similar setup with ss braided hose. No problems whatsoever.

ya im about to do the exact same thing this weekend, my new carb and fuel pump will be here tomorrow. I like the fuel pressure gauge inline,, nice touch. but figure the gas is already travelling 17 ft from the tank to here,,,, how much line is too much? I also bought 1000 degree F heat wrap to wrap my line . . . I was driving ~50mph the other day and my car starved out. Would not start again. 3 hrs later when it was cool, it started right up and ran until hot again..
I also got the carb on a 1/2" spacer which helped a whole lot....before that it would take forever to "hot" start, and always smelling the damn gas percolating in the lines. The fuel line hugs the block and that's the main problem in the summer or when it gets hot outside.

Is the issue fastening the line to the cowl and inner fender because the motor and body move independantly?
Ya, thats certainly a concern, but can't be overcome. This car isolates the copper(?) fuel line with short rubber hoses which would appear to soak up vibration. I'm not thinking of using any "hard" tubing however.

IMG_0191.jpg

I like things to look more stock myself but if you've got issues....

The stock location of my fuel line is causing it to soaking up heat. I want to solve this annoyance once and for all by finding an effective yet simple solution. The first thought that comes to mind is "remove item from heat" or "remove heat from item"...and go from there.

im with ya...having the car die because its fuel starved sucks.

but no one ever answered if this was too much or not.. I guess as long as you have the correct psi (~5 or so?) at the head end its all good ?

but no one ever answered if this was too much or not.. I guess as long as you have the correct psi (~5 or so?) at the head end its all good ?
169 posts and you still haven't figured out no one on this board ever stays on topic LOL.

Well that's the question.

Back