My 78 New Yorker 2 Door

Moseman

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I think I will start posting progress on my 78. I bought it out of a yard in Wyoming - came out of an estate. Prior to today I have had a lot of work performed on the car, so I will pick up from now on.
Previous work:
New fuel tank, fuel pump and rubber lines
Replaced spark plug wires, electronic ignition module, coil, distributor cap/rotor, spark plugs
Rebuilt carb, extensive tuning
Power steering pump, steering gear box
Upper lower ball joints, upper lower control arm bushings, pittman arm, idler arm, tie rod ends, shocks
Extensive mouse condo removal
New A/C heater blower motor
New headliner, new carpet, new sound deadening, replacement rear panel divider
After market audio - still have the original radio/8 track
Converted to R 134, ATC II does work!
Driver side power window motor replaced

Current work - Been working on the door panels, replaced the carpet at bottom of the door panels. Had to splice in a piece of sheet metal where the plastic on the lower door panel has broken away. A. full strip of sheet metal is on the back side
20180812_113509.jpg

Replaced plastic liner and felt padding with 1/4 thick neoprene insulation - see below:
20180812_112242_001.jpg

I am trying to find a color match vinyl spray paint so I can paint my dash pad. Duplicolor med. blue is too dark - see below:

20180812_184459.jpg

Got to keep searching for paint, I may have to blend this medium blue with Duplicolor light blue.

Okay, more to come.

I have also pulled the steering wheel this weekend, and put the loaner I got from Lynn over in Axtec. It is always intersting to see what Lynn is doing. He has a crewcab Studebaker pickup, and is working on a Diamond T Panel truck.
I will be snding off the steering wheel to be repaired. In late September the New Yorker gets hauled to Texas for paint, and I then get to pick up my 72 Imperial in Dallas.

Right Door panel. (I live in a RV/trailer park in New Mexico until I retire and move back to our land in SD, the yellow Mustang is my neighbors) Got to get the kick panels in and then the door sill. I replaced all of the light bulbs and cleaned all of the lenses and fistures. Next project is to install sound mat in the trunk, repair/replace the cardbaord trunk liners with foam board, and then cover with carpeting. Hope to have all of this done before I haul it to the painter.
20180812_111728.jpg

This is actually a good exercise for me. Also did the following:
Had brake booster rebuilt, rebuilt master cylinder, all new brake hoses, and pads.
New hoses and belts. Opted to throw away the smog pump.
I am watching what Doc has done to his Imperials and am seeing the same things on mine as what he has done to his Imperials.

It sounds like a repeat of Javier's 78, perhaps he can help you with yours, whilst designing your future garage in SD, lol.
Yes, after reading Javier's posts, I decided I would start my own thread. I have already built my shop in SD already. I will post pictures of the shop soon. It is 54 by 64 with two four post lifts. My 26 foot car trailer is in there along with the two 72 Fury, the 75 Doba, and the 75 Imperial. Then there is the compact tractor, skid steer, and forklift!

Welcome Moseman!

You’ll find a lot of good people on this site. We live for pictures around here so post em with your progress.

Did you do the passenger door lower?

Looking forward to your trunck panels rehab when you get to them.

As to painting the dash, Sherwin Williams here has an auto paint outlet that has color matched and loaded some spray cans for me recently. I would look to them for your dash.

Welcome Moseman!

You’ll find a lot of good people on this site. We live for pictures around here so post em with your progress.

Did you do the passenger door lower?

Looking forward to your trunck panels rehab when you get to them.

As to painting the dash, Sherwin Williams here has an auto paint outlet that has color matched and loaded some spray cans for me recently. I would look to them for your dash.
Yes, I had the passenger door lower done by an upholstery guy here with the new carpet, same for kick panels, and the rear seat lower, as the new carpet is a loop and the original is a short shag. I cannot stand the cut pile in a classic car. Too much work and expense to do the seat backs, and the seat back is not too visible. You have to have wider vinyl edging than what you receive from ACC.

I have also pulled the steering wheel this weekend, and put the loaner I got from Lynn over in Axtec. It is always intersting to see what Lynn is doing. He has a crewcab Studebaker pickup, and is working on a Diamond T Panel truck.
I will be snding off the steering wheel to be repaired. In late September the New Yorker gets hauled to Texas for paint, and I then get to pick up my 72 Imperial in Dallas.
You know i'm dying to hear and see more about your 72 Imperial...and you won't be really too far away in neighboring SD.

Yes, after reading Javier's posts, I decided I would start my own thread. I have already built my shop in SD already. I will post pictures of the shop soon. It is 54 by 64 with two four post lifts. My 26 foot car trailer is in there along with the two 72 Fury, the 75 Doba, and the 75 Imperial. Then there is the compact tractor, skid steer, and forklift!
Some pictures of the shop:

20160722_154321.jpg
20171226_125112[1].jpg
20180420_172836[1].jpg
20171226_125838.jpg
20171226_125938.jpg

Finished the trunk, had to treat the rusted fender wells, put in sound deadener, shampooed the carpets, built new rear panels around the trunk lock (old ones were badly beat up) out of foam board, and applied carpet, put new backing card stock on the side panels. Some pictures:

Before;
20180826_171829.jpg

After:
20180827_183921.jpg

Progress Pictures:
20180901_132553_001.jpg
20180901_132603.jpg

Old Cardboard rear panels:

Foamboard replacement - I did no take into account the thicker foamboard when I traced the panels, so they became a little taller than the originals:
20180902_161149(0).jpg
20180902_161149.jpg

Back