My new `67 Imperial Crown Coupe!

An original spare is there for two reasons, looks and an emergency. When an emergency arises you use it to get the car to where it needs to go and thats it

Ok then.........

Tire Aging
Tires, like any other rubber product, have a limited service life regardless of tread depth and use. (Rubber is an elastomer, which constantly changes it properties due to its exposure to air (oxidation), heat and other environmental factors) As tires age, their physical and chemical properties degrade reducing their margin of safety. You would think that a tire should be designed such that the tire fatigue life exceeds the tread life by some safety margin. But the U.S. tire industry has done nothing to warn us about the risks of old tires.
Whether a tire is old and unsafe cannot be detected by the naked eye. Tires undergo an aging process even when the are not in use. The rubber loses its elasticity, the steel webbing corrodes and the rubber hardens. A tire that has been in storage for years will look brand new and is extremely dangerous.
Some experts take the position that a tire is unsafe after 4 years whether it was used or not, others say 6 years, but the tire industry will not make such a statement. A former Michelin tire engineer advocated "sell by" or expiration dates back in the 1900's, but the tire industry has ignored such requests.
In the 1990's, the owners manuals for various German cars such as Mercedes and BMW as well as Toyota indicated that tires more than six years old could be dangerous.
The problem has historically been with the spare tire. It just sits in the back, even though you replace the other four tires as the tread wears out, you keep the spare because it looks brand new. Full sized spares are less common today as vehicle makers opt for the temporary donut. But full size spares are frequently found on SUVs, pickups and vans, vehicles more susceptible to rollover in the event of a catastrophic tire failure.
If the tire industry put expiration dates (which the general public could read and understand) on tires, it would initially cost them a lot of money, because they would have to recall their old tires. Tire age can be determined by decoding the DOT (Department of Transportation) number molded into the sidewall of the tire- however this process can be difficult and confusing, and often requires a tire expert.
Due in large part to the Firestone Tire recall in August 2000 (See Article "Global Recall: The History of the Firestone Tire Debacle") the Automobile and Tire industry have issued various responses.
In 2001, the British Rubber Manufacturers Association strongly recommends that unused tires should not be placed into service if they are more than 6 years old. In 2005, Ford Motor Company announced a six (6) year recommendation as well, regardless of tread wear. Of course, tire manufacturers were much more lax in there assessment of the issue. In October, 2005 Bridgestone Firestone recommended that all tires should be replaced after 10 years. Continental and Michelin soon followed, echoing the 10 year period set forth by Firestone.

An original spare is there for two reasons, looks and an emergency. When an emergency arises you use it to get the car to where it needs to go and thats it

I agree. I don't really feel like buying another Imp rim to mount a newer spare tire on so that I can keep the original spare set up for show/display. Trunk is big but I don't want that much junk in it. The original spare will be just fine to get me from the point of the blowout to a tire store at surface street speeds. Would I rather not actually use the original spare? of course, in a perfect world. I'll just buy a new set of quality tires and throw the original spare back in the trunk in hopes to not need it again. If I didn't have a schedule to keep that day, I probably would have just called Hagerty for a ride on a flatbed...

Just mention that your going with raised white letters please and watch Stan go off
No more. I'm taking the high road from now on and let you fools ruin your cars without comment....
Nah...............................

A pair of Hurst Racing "Pie Crusts" are a bit clumsy I guess, but not yet donked
32253484.jpg

32253484.jpg

I agree. I don't really feel like buying another Imp rim to mount a newer spare tire on so that I can keep the original spare set up for show/display.

15x6 right? I have 4 (actually 5) '67 15x6's if you ever change your mind. :eek:s_dancing2:

Last edited:
[QUOTE=detmatt;30777]Here"s a refresher of what the spare looks like, I didn't see one like it through Coker. One of them was close and would probably look good but had a different pattern of stripes. I guess if I can't find exact reproductions I'll probably just go with some nice 1" wsws.[/QUOTE]

Matt, here is a link to a tire supplier that will cut the WSW anyway you want it on new radials. You might check them out.

http://www.dbtires.com/

Nice........at least he had a mask on.......OSHA approved! Good job!

[QUOTE=detmatt;30777]Here"s a refresher of what the spare looks like, I didn't see one like it through Coker. One of them was close and would probably look good but had a different pattern of stripes. I guess if I can't find exact reproductions I'll probably just go with some nice 1" wsws.

Matt, here is a link to a tire supplier that will cut the WSW anyway you want it on new radials. You might check them out.

http://www.dbtires.com/
[/QUOTE]

That was a good tip Will, they have the 3 stripe for the Chryslers and they're only $254 bucks each! Slight gasp.

The Imp has finally made it to its den for the winter but its a little crowded in here so I won't be able to get started on the improvements until I thin the herd by at least a couple cars!

image.jpg

The Imp has finally made it to its den for the winter but its a little crowded in here so I won't be able to get started on the improvements until I thin the herd by at least a couple cars!

Nice! Looks like you have a lot of projects in there. Are they all yours? Is that the same shop you do the furniture work in?

One of the cars to the right under the cover is a buddies and the yella '71 Charger is still in there to the left out of view but the rest are mine. I'm trying to get rid of the '71 Suoer Bee project way in the back and it includes a parts car which is one of the ones on the right. I also have a '70 Challenger 340 project there on the right that I wanted to keep for myself but since I bought the vert from my dad I'm thinking I might let it go too.
the wood shop is behind me in that picture.

Just ordered the pertronics kit and a flamethrower coil for it, I was going to try and keep the points system but figured the performance gain was more important and it will still look stock with this kit. Ordered through Amazon and it was the cheapest I found by 5 or 10 dollars. Can't wait! Hope the weather is decent when Bob is in town to go to the museum, I'd like to take him for a spin in it.

Just ordered the pertronics kit and a flamethrower coil for it, I was going to try and keep the points system but figured the performance gain was more important and it will still look stock with this kit. Ordered through Amazon and it was the cheapest I found by 5 or 10 dollars. Can't wait! Hope the weather is decent when Bob is in town to go to the museum, I'd like to take him for a spin in it.

That would be cool! I will be in my truck..........can't trust Wisconsin weather for a minute in December so the NY'er will have to stay home. I will have it at Carlisle.

Car looks nice, and safe tucked away in the garage. Good luck with thinning the heard!

If you can, get some pictures of the museum? I've always wanted to go, but never made it. A buddy who lives near by in MI was in town for the week, and I told him about them closing the doors. He said he was gonna try and stop in when he gets back up there.

Back