Points issue.........totally baffled

all the other tune up stuff was done last week...only points were done yest. that's the only damn thing I touched...It started and ran a couple of min just now and of course...DIED. im ready to put the old ones back in...lol. all vac lines are fine..i plugged the one to the air cleaner just to cover the bases.

Are you absolutely sure you haven't crossed a plug wire. Sometimes when removing the dizzy cap out of the way it is necessary to remove a couple of the wires and......sometime they don't get put back in the correct spot. I have run into this several times on big block engines cause the wires are so long & can easily get confusing. You should always check the dwell with a common meter that can read/measure it. Proper dwell setting equals longer point life & smoother running. Also make sure you have not damage the rotor button. A bent rotor will cause misfire. Its easy to do. And also like Stan said make sure wires are seated properly on the cap. Use die electric lube on the reluctor (where the points ride) . Make sure you have not stripped the small screw that holds the points. Easy to do. I" sure its something simple. I am not a fan of points. Pertronix makes a simple conversion that hides under the cap & eliminates the darn things & no one can tell.

This is so funny.....totally something I would do and then stress out over it for days until you have that "DUH" moment.

One good thing about a process like this is that once you've isolated and fixed the problem ..... Everything else is perfect.
Glad you got it working. I still run points in Jazebelle. I guess i'm one of those old schools guys who loves to mess with that stuff. Besides ... I have an expensive Snap on Dwell metethat needs to be used....
Future hint ........ Use a remote starter button to rotate the engine while adjusting points to the correct dwell reading..... If you got it right with a feeler guage ..... you got lucky.

Use a remote starter button to rotate the engine while adjusting points to the correct dwell reading.....
All you need is a screwdriver :D

2agj8g0.jpg

I still find it amazing how easy it was for us to steal cars.
Then column locks came along.
It was never the same again after that.

Posted via Topify on Android

I thought you would like to hear a funny story: Some kids tried to steal my 67' Newport back in the 90's from the front of my house. After looking for the Ignition, they realized it didn't have a steering column ignition switch. So, They put it in neutral to roll it down the hill, and it rolled down the hill, and over one of the kids foot. They didn't know how to hotwire it. The Police were eventually called as a car was reported sitting in the intersection down the street, so they came to my house at 3:00 A.M to ask if I could move the BOAT!
He was a young cop, and had no respect. The older cop said: hey, don't Insult the mans car. the kid went to the emergency room about an hour later, and was promptly arrested. So, There are some really stupid people out there.

Back