So I want to have a 440 built....

With only a couple hundred miles on it I would run it more. Is it the same carb as the 383? Like Dave said could be lean. But like others said 195 doesn't scare me at all. More important have you changed the oil yet? Break in oil is supposed to be changed after break in.

With only a couple hundred miles on it I would run it more. Is it the same carb as the 383? Like Dave said could be lean. But like others said 195 doesn't scare me at all. More important have you changed the oil yet? Break in oil is supposed to be changed after break in.

Same carb but richened up. Break in oil gets dropped in 200 more miles at the 500 mile mark.

But like others said 195 doesn't scare me at all.
Wait. You don't understand the severity of the problem. 195 should scare you if you have a 160 thermostat plus the biggest issue is one should never use a 160 in the first place.
There's some serious overheating going on and I'm troubled by it.

Wait. You don't understand the severity of the problem. 195 should scare you if you have a 160 thermostat plus the biggest issue is one should never use a 160 in the first place.
There's some serious overheating going on and I'm troubled by it.
I understand your concern, If it was running 195 at 30 degrees I would be more concerned but in the 70's not as much, even with the 160 thermostat. The 160 just opens sooner than the 195. I know it is supposed to keep the engine cooler but when it's open it's open and it's up to the rest of the system to keep it cool.

Do you have an infrared thermometer? If so then look at the temps across the radiator to see if it is pulling enough heat out. If you don't have one you can order from Walmart online for $11.99 go here:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Greenpro...6822&wl11=online&wl12=121562206&wl13=&veh=sem.
You can also use to check your exhaust manifold temp's.
This should help to check for a lean condition, or the old school way and still the best, pull the plugs.
If you need some help reading the plugs here is a nice tutotrial, Spark plug reading

So, I have a couple hundred miles on the 451. I noticed it runs warmer than the 383 did, and is getting about 195 while stopped in traffic in the upper 70's here. Per my engine builder, a 160 degree stat was installed. I have a rather nice aluminum racing radiator Krautmaster installed before I got the car. Should I be running a hotter stat? I don't want this thing overheating during cruises.
A guy who worked at a radiator shop once told me that aluminum aftermarket radiators don't work all that well and that it would be better to have the existing copper radiator modified.

A guy who worked at a radiator shop once told me that aluminum aftermarket radiators don't work all that well and that it would be better to have the existing copper radiator modified.

Well there's no existing copper radiator.

So I have the car back again, and we're in the low 80's. stop and go traffic is seeing 195-200 degree temps. Talked with my engine builder, he's not concerned because he says the engine is still pretty tight. But, he also feels we are running lean at the lower end because of the surging and low end flat spot I feel.

Definitely lean on cruise, since you set the wot on the dyno I would just kiss the fat section of the metering rod with a file making the faintest of a flat spot then pop them back in and test, repeat till surging is gone. Or go buy the assorted metering rods and a notebook.

Definitely lean on cruise, since you set the wot on the dyno I would just kiss the fat section of the metering rod with a file making the faintest of a flat spot then pop them back in and test, repeat till surging is gone. Or go buy the assorted metering rods and a notebook.

Wise ol Krautmaster gave me a metering rod kit with the car! And detailed notes.

Just thought of what happened here a few days ago only because I was running my Cougar 302-4V and the top radiator temp was at 160 degrees and went no higher. Couldn't recall the thermostat, but was sure it was 180, so I pulled it today and it was.

Back