Terrible 1956 Imperial dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
Six years ago, a local fella decided to sell his '56 Imperial Coupe that he had for 20 years.
He wanted $16k for it. I broke his balls and said I'll give you six right now, pissed him off, and walked away. He's been nagging me ever since, dropping a cuple of grand here, a couple of grand there, each time he had a new "fatal illness" (heart, brain tumor, cancer - acute dandruff, etc). Today he called and said he needs the money because his wife needs a life saving operation. he'll take the six grand.
It's solid, everything there, clean.... NADA "LOW" is $12K.

Below is not the car. Just a google image.
The actual car had some 60's customizing done to it, but it's just bolt on crap.

It really is only worth six I think so it's a bad candidate for a flip.
I don't know what to do, man. I just don't know.

3027821374_b26e480481.jpg

if it's nice and clean it should easily do 10K.........shouldn't it?

I suppose if I had the room and resources, I would go for it. If for nothing else, to just have and drive a car of that stature for a while. As you most likely already know, they have complicated brake systems, hard to find tranny parts, but are easy to work on and interchange with normal Chrysler for most parts. Not as rust prone as the 57-62's but still rust. Do you know if it is a Newport or Southampton?

I suppose if I had the room and resources, I would go for it. If for nothing else, to just have and drive a car of that stature for a while. As you most likely already know, they have complicated brake systems, hard to find tranny parts, but are easy to work on and interchange with normal Chrysler for most parts. Not as rust prone as the 57-62's but still rust. Do you know if it is a Newport or Southampton?

I think that in 1956 the newport designation for Chryslers and Imperials refered to
the 2 door hard top body style.

The brakes arn't to bad to service unless you break or lose a return spring.... $18.00 each and there are 8 of them. Tough to locate too. Rear axles are almost a direct changeover with later model C & E body 8 3/4 axles which eliminates the brake issues in the rear.

It's tough to say without seeing at least some pictures or having an idea of condition. But $6K sounds like a rock bottom value for one of these cars.

Stan, when was the last time your eyeballs were on his car?

I think that in 1956 the newport designation for Chryslers and Imperials refered to
the 2 door hard top body style.

The brakes arn't to bad to service unless you break or lose a return spring.... $18.00 each and there are 8 of them. Tough to locate too. Rear axles are almost a direct changeover with later model C & E body 8 3/4 axles which eliminates the brake issues in the rear.

It's tough to say without seeing at least some pictures or having an idea of condition. But $6K sounds like a rock bottom value for one of these cars.

Right, in 1956 Imperial had two coupes Newport and Southampton. The Newport name was only used on two door models in the Chrysler and Imperial then.

6K sounds like a deal if it's in decent condition. Those cars are something special. We really need more info.

I don't expect a wiw from anyone without giving you pictures. I need to sleep on it. Asked my wife for advice and got the standard answer: Go ahead and buy it if we have the money. I asked my g/f and she said it was stupid. I asked the cats they said something about wanting cheezburgers.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

I don't expect a wiw from anyone without giving you pictures. I need to sleep on it. Asked my wife for advice and got the standard answer: Go ahead and buy it if we have the money. I asked my g/f and she said it was stupid. I asked the cats they said something about wanting cheezburgers.

Too funny!!!!

I've been offering 6k for years purely as an outrageous lowball. Never believed this day would come. Now I'm like a deer frozen in the headlights .

Take it for a test drive...

I'd love to drive it, has it got a Hemi in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back