Time to replace shocks - recommend?

Verse

Reaction score
It is time to replace the shock absorbers on my 1966 Newport with the standard suspension. I did a lot of reading on this forum and looked at the KYB site. Much of the info is a few years old so may need an update.
I am looking for a smoothest and softest ride possible on gravel and bumpy roads, which to me sounds like a low pressure gas monotube shock.
What in your opinion would be the best choice?

It is time to replace the shock absorbers on my 1966 Newport with the standard suspension. I did a lot of reading on this forum and looked at the KYB site. Much of the info is a few years old so may need an update.
I am looking for a smoothest and softest ride possible on gravel and bumpy roads, which to me sounds like a low pressure gas monotube shock.

The KYBs are great. I have them installed on my '66 300 coupe and my '66 300 convertible. The ride is very good and very well controlled. I highly recommend the KYBs.

I am looking for a smoothest and softest ride possible on gravel and bumpy roads

A lot of that will be dictated by your wheel/tire combo. A taller sidewall and lower tire pressure will provide a softer ride.

For shocks, I also recommend KYB gas-a-just. I wanted a slightly firmer than standard shock and these fit the bill perfectly. They are by no means firm/harsh, but they aren't "floaty" like a old non-gas shock.

I have read good things about KYBs for years. At this time, almost all normal shocks will have been "low gas pressure", mainly to reduce fluid foaming internally, for about a decade or so. It;s not specifically this low gas pressure that might improve the normal ride/handling performance, but the shock's internal valving, as always. But any gas pressure will help push teh wheel "down" for better tire/road contact at all times, which is a plus and can give the car a more stable feel on rougher roads.

As mentioned, tire pressure and tire choice make a difference, too. I like to run my tire pressures 32/30, f/r, for a firmer ride and sharper turn-in performance. TWO things which Chrysler suspensions are known for. Plus better equalizing f/r tire wear, by observation. Adjusting tire pressure to reflect the greater percentage of the weight on the front end vs. the rear end and the factory recommendations.

Actually, from what I discovered in the Chry parts book, there are 3 different suspension calibrations. The "base"/std would be the basic 383 car without factory a/c. When factory a/c is ordered, the HD front torsion bars are added to supporrt the added weight of the a/c items, but with the normal front shocks. When the HD suspension is ordered, that kicks in the HD rear leaf springs and HD shocks. There were "High Control" shock abs options, which were usually normal 1" bore shocks with stiffer internal valving as there was a HD Shock option that used something like the HD Monroe Super 500 shocks with larger rear pistons.

My '66 Newport has the factory a/c suspension, to which we added full HD Chrysler (parts) shocks many years ago. Works fine, especially with my tire pressure tweaks. They are still on the car, decades later.

In modern times, the KYBs seem to be the best option.

CBODY67

I have KYB Gas Adjust all the way round on my 69 Fury to replace the rather new standard [cheap] shocks. Don't remember the brand but the car felt like it was a large boat. I think the smaller/lighter the car like A bodies the firmer the ride with KYBs. I had this concern about harsh ride but it wasn't warranted because I was and am very happy with the ride. The KYBs have to deal with more weight with our cars and the ride is not harsh in the least and rid the car of floating around. Rough roads it still has that torsion bar famous ride but with more control. If interested look for specials and get a good deal. Mine were made in Japan not China, a different reality in quality. Just my experience. Thumbs up!

Last edited:
I love the KYB gas mono-piston shocks I bought for my 66 last year. I use Monroe load levelers in the rear as I run around with an easy quarter ton in the trunk on these barrio trails I drive on. KYB makes the best shock I've ever bought. Go with them.

Original post would indicate monorematics to me, they'll be softer. Wallowing even

I've used KYB's on other cars that weighed about 1,000 lbs less than a c-body. The KYB's are a little stiffer than standard so I've changed over to Bilstiens. I prefer the smoother ride and they are less bouncy, worth the extra money.

I've used KYB's on other cars that weighed about 1,000 lbs less than a c-body. The KYB's are a little stiffer than standard so I've changed over to Bilstiens. I prefer the smoother ride and they are less bouncy, worth the extra money.
Joining this thread late, my 66 wagon has the same front end floaty / bottoming issue. Seems like KYB shocks are the overwhelming favorite - Scott, what made you pick Bilsteins and where did you get them?

I have KYB Gas Adjust all the way round on my 69 Fury to replace the rather new standard [cheap] shocks. Don't remember the brand but the car felt like it was a large boat. I think the smaller/lighter the car like A bodies the firmer the ride with KYBs. I had this concern about harsh ride but it wasn't warranted because I was and am very happy with the ride. The KYBs have to deal with more weight with our cars and the ride is not harsh in the least and rid the car of floating around. Rough roads it still has that torsion bar famous ride but with more control. If interested look for specials and get a good deal.

Mine were made in Japan not China, a different reality in quality. Just my experience. Thumbs up!

You mean KYB,s from China and KYB,s from Japan.......?

For front shocks, I've found the KYB Gas-A-Just gives the best ride and handling I've ever had from any car I've owned in over 40 yrs of driving. I probably will opt for those for the rear too, once I get the new leaf springs I ordered from SpringsnThings last week. We ride with Monroe Load levelizers, which happen to be a brand/model recommended in the FSM, to help the old flattened 6 leaf arrangement that Tilly rode for her first hemi-century on.

I've seen comments both inside and out of this Forum that Bilsteins ride "stiff" and I've no interest in spending top dollar on something which requires extra effort to install due to their size, and give a stiff ride. If I were running an RB engine with plenty heavy accessories, I might reconsider that, but for now, the KYB delivers an EXCELLENT return for the modest price.

You mean KYB,s from China and KYB,s from Japan.......?

Just from memory when I installed them I remember seeing Made in Japan BUT I cannot be sure both the front and the backs were both made there.

There are many shock threads on the site. Most guys will recommend the KYBs.
On the car that I was certain I would drive the most I went with the Bilsteins . A hundred bucks a piece but since I was redoing the entire suspension I would spring for the supposed best. I also added a rear sway bar when doing everything else.
The Bilsteins are a much more stable ride. You will have little nose dive or body roll within reasonable speeds on the corners or braking. The trade off is the cushy ride guys want from their Cs is compromised. You feel almost every bump in the road witch increases road noise.
I'm not disappointed I bought the Bilsteins as I appreciate their rigidity . The KYBs were to soft for me.

There are many shock threads on the site. Most guys will recommend the KYBs.
On the car that I was certain I would drive the most I went with the Bilsteins . A hundred bucks a piece but since I was redoing the entire suspension I would spring for the supposed best. I also added a rear sway bar when doing everything else.
The Bilsteins are a much more stable ride. You will have little nose dive or body roll within reasonable speeds on the corners or braking. The trade off is the cushy ride guys want from their Cs is compromised. You feel almost every bump in the road witch increases road noise.
I'm not disappointed I bought the Bilsteins as I appreciate their rigidity . The KYBs were to soft for me.

Thank you for refreshing my memory on the subject of Bilsteins. It may be that after I install the new rear springs, the properties of Bilsteins might become desirable to me. I won't know for sure until everything is bolted together. I don't care for oversprung rides at ALL, and have suffered through a few. My damned 68 Mustang rode like a buckboard!

For soft and smooth, esp with the same model car I drive, get the KYB Gas-A-Just. They're Japanese made, and naught is better for a soft, comfortable, and well handled ride. Rock Auto is running a Sale on them just now too.

To those who used the KYB front shocks, did you have any problems getting them installed and what is the best way to do it?

Back