1969 Imperial progress thread

Would have using the 70 upgrade worked on a 67?
I honestly don't know. The original equipment is a dual reservoir 4 piston caliper disc brake system that's given me no reason to want to change it to something else.

Just a few words about Chrysler quality control back in the day... One side of the Stub frame bracket is bolted like it should additional to the welding spots, the other side is not.... The bolt holes don't line up so they simply skipped bolting the bracket to the rocker... But hey, it lasted 48 years...

View attachment 120583

View attachment 120584

View attachment 120586

On both sides, these holding tabs are 'cut'. Are they supposed to be cut?
View attachment 120587

What is this clip for initially? It's on the underside of the drivers floor panel. There was nothing attached on my car.
View attachment 120589
This is exactly what my '70 300 looked like, a random clip, and the support tabs on the stub reinforcements looked broken. I ended up lining them up and tacking them with a couple of welds just to be sure.

Speedo cable for sure.
I would get Bud calipers stainless steel inserted, fixed forever which is how long you are keeping the car anyway.

I normally like to keep everything original on mine as well, so maybe that is the way to go. I just don't like having surprises at having no brakes after a car has been sitting for a prolonged interval, again due to leakage. Since at least one person says they are satisfied with the braking performance, I will mull this one over then.

Nice job in getting the undercoating off the underside of the body - it looks like it did its job over the years of protecting the floors and other areas. Not sure about whether the holding tabs should be cut, but I can try to take a look under mine. Usually, though, that clip you are referencing is usually used to hold the speedometer cable that goes from the transmission and up through the lower firewall and into the speedometer.

It indeed did a great job protecting the car! Without it, the floor would be gone completely by now!
Thanks, the speedo cable makes sence! So a new clip is going there!

I like my Budd brakes both in their performance and the fact that they were what was attached to the car when it rolled off the line.

I agree with you, Matt! I want to keep the Budd brakes, especially since all parts are available now! I would change them if they are not good, but it seems a lot of people like them!

Yes, I thought it was odd as well, must have been something needed in assembly but not wanted later, line something up but not restrict flexing?
Alan

That's what I thought as well. I'm not sure now if I should reattach them or cut them away.

I normally like to keep everything original on mine as well, so maybe that is the way to go. I just don't like having surprises at having no brakes after a car has been sitting for a prolonged interval, again due to leakage. Since at least one person says they are satisfied with the braking performance, I will mull this one over then.

I totally agree on that! Please let me know what you are goint to do with your brakes!

The Corvette guys have been sleeving those brakes for a long time, and you know how picky they can be.
If the sleeve is pressed into a properly machined bore no moisture should get behind to react with the cast iron, or at least for the rest of my lifetime.

The Corvette guys have been sleeving those brakes for a long time, and you know how picky they can be.
If the sleeve is pressed into a properly machined bore no moisture should get behind to react with the cast iron, or at least for the rest of my lifetime.
I had my four piston budd calipers sleeved 20 years ago and not a drip or seepage ever since!

Hey bud. I haven't been on here in months. How's the Imp coming along??? It's been awhile.....

Hey Dan! Thanks for asking. Not much visible progress happened this year so far. Since I'm waiting for a lot of spare sheet metal from @mr. fix it and @Tobias74 I have to do other things then working on the body. So I worked on a lot of small parts I will need during winter. Sand blasting, cleaning, painting and such things. It will get more interesting again when I can finish whole parts instead of preparing and fixing small bits and pieces. :)

Ya, I knoow. ;) But I haven't finished anything. I'm just preparing stuff so that I have something to do while it's too cold in my shop during the winter month.

Another:rolleyes: sneak peek of 1 of 2 thinks I had to do before I can finally finish more parts and post about it. :wideyed:

That's how $500 (with shipping and customs/tax) in fasteners looks like... :realcrazy:
2017-11-27 17.51.48.jpg

Has anybody told you you’ll be in over your head on this project yet???:poke:

Back