68Nwprt's Engine Build

Word of advice if you plan on running molly rings. If there is any taper in the bore they may not seal right. If you plan on doing a budget build and not planning on boring the motor. you might be better off using cast iron rings.

I ordered "engine tech" irons from rockauto and got the hastings i was expecting after research :) - the same brand bearings i got were kings too - cheap as

Quick update. Got a few parts cleaned and sand blasted today, and some assembly done over the last couple of weeks.

HPIM1172.jpgHPIM1173.jpgHPIM1174.jpg

HPIM1172.jpg

HPIM1173.jpg

HPIM1174.jpg

What did you do to polish the crank journals?

I used 3M 600 wet dry paper. A friend taught me his way and it seemed to work well. Cut a strip of paper the width of the journal. Wrap it around the journal and tape it there with masking tape. Take a piece of vacuum hose,(I used 3/8 dia.) about three feet wrap the hose around the paper and use the hose to spin the paper by hand. Sounds weird but it works. You can use oil to keep the paper from loading if you like. I did mine dry.

I used 3M 600 wet dry paper. A friend taught me his way and it seemed to work well. Cut a strip of paper the width of the journal. Wrap it around the journal and tape it there with masking tape. Take a piece of vacuum hose,(I used 3/8 dia.) about three feet wrap the hose around the paper and use the hose to spin the paper by hand. Sounds weird but it works. You can use oil to keep the paper from loading if you like. I did mine dry.
I like that, I will definately give it a go, thanks!!

I'm having a hell of a time trying to picture that. One more time please?

Machine shop polished my crank for 80 bucks, boy did it turn out nice.

That's a great cam. I have it in my 68 fury with a 440. I'am very happy with it.

Thanks. I'm just a rookie, learning as I go. If I did it again I would do some things different. Are you using stock valve springs?

Back