fuel pump pushrod access plug question

The cam lobe that runs the pump may be wiped

You may be able to set up a dial indicator and get the lift off of it without the distributer in. I hate just blindly throwing parts at a problem. Are the pump pushrods the same, really or did you measure with calipers?

I eyeballed the pushrods, but its no 1/4" shorter like all the posts suggested it would be when worn out.
fuelpump-pushrod-new-and-old.jpgold one on left, new one on right. comp cams #4646

fuelpump-pushrod-new-and-old.jpg

Try one more test. try a two gal. can of fuel and run a hose to the fuel pump. This will take the tank,fuel pickup and filter, and heating of fuel line from exhaust etc. out of the picture. If you put the can in front passenger floor area it proves that the pump can pull fuel uphill over the top of the door/cowl. BE CAREFUL!

finally got time to do this, it will not pump out of a 4' hose to a gas can on the ground. im back on with summit about the FP.

i also changed the hose about mid-body. THAT was a nasty hose. about 4" long and just in between some metal lines, right before it goes into the frame, going forward. it was spongy as hell.

but - nope, it wont pump out of a gas can when hot.

im going to try tonight when it cools off, from the gas can, just to see.

if it works cold... im blaming the FP and getting an electric setup.

ill update.

.. I need to buy a FSM :)

well, I plumbed in an electric pump today. Also changed the 3" rubber hose from tank to first hard line out from tank. it wasn't as bad of condition as the rubber hose that was mid frame. so now I have all new rubber lines at every connection from the tank to carb. FP block off plate is installed. pushrod is removed. tomorrow morning I hook up the relay and the oil pressure switch electricals, then test it out.

.. I need to buy a FSM :)

There was 2 FSM''s (consisting of 2 volumes, mechanical and electrical book) for my 1978 NYB for sale when I bought mine on EBay. I paid $25 for the first set and $2 for the 2nd set. All with free shipping. They were in excellent condition. My parts book was advertised for $219 on EBay. Haggled back and forth starting at $20......I bought it for $50 and free shipping. They can be bought fairly cheap. Best investment I ever made. I do this with every one of my cars.

Nowhere have I see a reference to a fuel pump pressure test...... A vaccuum/pressure guage is a cheap tool and will clear up the fuel pump pressure question.

I just think an electric pump should be avoided.

Last edited:
Back