My 300 Hurst restoration begins

Here are a few from last night repairing sections around front window.

IMG_1288_zpshl5ehhfs.jpg

IMG_1287_zpsvqhem4xa.jpg

IMG_1289_zpsv1rq633i.jpg

IMG_1286_zps6528ovr6.jpg

IMG_1290_zpswtjbvvi3.jpg

Great work, but the real pain with Hursts is the hood and decklid...I've never seen a Hurst decklid sit right and the hoods often have completely rotted inner frames.
My decklid is actually good. I have a new frame for my hood. I have a boat guy in town that is great with fiberglass who is going to repair that.

My decklid is actually good. I have a new frame for my hood. I have a boat guy in town that is great with fiberglass who is going to repair that.

Seems appropriate that a boat guy would be making that repair... :)

Outstanding work, and an inspirational project! Thanks for making the work ahead of me seem manageable!

Clair

Thanks guys! I did snag a NOS dash plate yesterday as well. She is coming along. Once the metal work is done I'm going to rebuild the suspension and engine.

I was happy when I installed my trunk lock without scratching the paint, you are on a whole other level. Amazing work.

Dang, from the original pic, it didn't look like the Hurst was that bad. Are you swapping the stub frame as well?

Yes that is what we are doing. That is why when you buy a car you need to be careful. A prior owner in the past used a lot of filler, undercoating, etc. and as a result we didn't think it was this bad at the start either but in the end it was really bad off. The car was a Florida car originally and the salt air really harmed it in places you normally wouldn't find rust. Thankfully I had a really good donor car!

I know it is a ton of work but even though there are a fair amount of these that come up for sale, sadly not many ever get restored. I will be very proud of it when done as a lot of time will have gone into it. I don't plan on selling it so I don't care what I have into it. I want to use it for shows and some cross country road trips.

Last edited:
Back