My 300 Hurst restoration begins

Cool to see the project coming along. I didn't realize how much you've done to the car when I talked to you in June. Looks great, what an uphill battle. I look forward to seeing it in Farmington some year soon!

This Hurst is getting a make over most restos will never have. As for the numbers thingy, it's nice to have, but I don't think it's as important to a lot of people in the hobby as we are lead to believe.
Sure you'll get more for your A/B/E, sometimes a lot more. C's are just as cool in my eyes, numbers or not. Besides, how many of those other pricy bodies have a 440 harvested from a C in them anyway? Most aren't numbers matching either.
Looking forward to watching your progress. Nice work!

Thanks everyone I hope you find it interesting. It is quite the endeavor but I'm enjoying it. Next week I strip the engine down. I also bought a sandblast cabinet to help prep small parts. In the coming weeks I'll have some more updates. Kind of fun keeping a log like this of the progress.

As usual way late to an extraordinary thread. Your work is mind blowing. I will monitor this with great interest as you get to the short strokes.

Well I started the restoration of my 300 Hurst. This winter I picked up a parts car in AZ about a mile from where I bought my Hurst to perform the metal replacement with. Like most car restorations once we got into it, it was worse than it appeared. Here some pictures of it in progress. We are replacing the firewall now due to the cowl is completely rusted out.
View attachment 136450

View attachment 136451

View attachment 136452

View attachment 136453

View attachment 136454

View attachment 136455

View attachment 136456

I don't know how I missed this thread until now. Very impressed with your work and talent. I am always in awe of people who can do this kind of work.

I was at the body shop today to drop some parts off and took these photos of my Hurst up on the rotisserie. They are working on removing the last bits of undercoating.

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

Found a NOS Hurst stripe kit. Doubt all of it will be good but plan to use it to match color and reproduce a set. May make a few extra sets if possible.
IMG_0269.JPG

Shaping up to be a Critter level resto, for sure! Nice to see C bodies getting this level of love/ recognition.

IMG_2344.JPG
IMG_2343.JPG
IMG_2342.JPG
Picked my hood and deck lid up today from the boat repair shop. They did a great job rebonding the hood to the new frame along with reinforcing the hood and deck lid with new glass.

June is a long way off, might it be in Farmington then, or is that too soon?

Back