My 300 Hurst restoration begins

thumbs-up.jpg

Well she is in her final stage of being unioned together.
Looking like a car already! Man, after all that cutting, I'd have had to sit and rock back and fourth for a few days before tacking it back together.

Knowing how much it takes to weld patches into a car etc. I can say that cutting an entire section off is probably a whole lot easier than chasing the holes that materialize as you weld small patches. Most of the work involved will be in getting the alignment right before welding, that to me is the crucial moment. By the looks of the photos I can see it is being done very well.

I'm lost as to what car this is now, both the trunk and cowl numbers are from the parts car and will need to be transferred. I commend you for the level and volume of work being done but to me there isn't enough of the original car left. As much as I may want a Hurst I would have passed on this one.

Sorry just my opinion.

Alan

I'm lost as to what car this is now, both the trunk and cowl numbers are from the parts car and will need to be transferred. I commend you for the level and volume of work being done but to me there isn't enough of the original car left. As much as I may want a Hurst I would have passed on this one.

Sorry just my opinion.

Alan
Well Alan,
When I purchased this car it had a lot of hidden issues by past owners. Once we started into what appeared to be a fairly solid car there was not much going back. You take the cost of the initial purchase, the numerous one only parts I have acquired over time, plus a half welded up car, what would you have done? Haul it out to the scrap yard and taken a loss lol? I am sorry but this is just part of what can happen in any restoration. Until you get the paint off you never truly know what condition the car is in. I have used original sheet metal, etc. to bring it back to the most original she can be. Was it what I wanted, no, but it is what I had to work with. I always laugh you guys complain about these cars not getting restored and when one does, then we get ridiculed for doing it. It is getting to the point the cars left are in rough shape. This is the best method there is to bringing them back. I'm sorry she won't live up to your standards but I will enjoy driving her.

Well Alan,
When I purchased this car it had a lot of hidden issues by past owners. Once we started into what appeared to be a fairly solid car there was not much going back. You take the cost of the initial purchase, the numerous one only parts I have acquired over time, plus a half welded up car, what would you have done? Haul it out to the scrap yard and taken a loss lol? I am sorry but this is just part of what can happen in any restoration. Until you get the paint off you never truly know what condition the car is in. I have used original sheet metal, etc. to bring it back to the most original she can be. Was it what I wanted, no, but it is what I had to work with. I always laugh you guys complain about these cars not getting restored and when one does, then we get ridiculed for doing it. It is getting to the point the cars left are in rough shape. This is the best method there is to bringing them back. I'm sorry she won't live up to your standards but I will enjoy driving her.
I gotta say, I give full credit to you on this one. I don't usually get involved in discussions like this but what you are doing is incredibly ballsy and positive. I hope, should I encounter such problems with my Monaco that I have that much gumption. Keep it up, finish her off and drive drive drive.

Well she is in her final stage of being unioned together.
Incredible work, I love these extreme makeovers. I take it once you have it all lined up and welded together, you will be breaking down the front end and then removing the stub for a complete overhaul? I mean, your not going to just bolt on the fenders at this point and call it a day, right, LOL?

Got to admit the the thought of "how much of the original Hurst is left" did cross my mind. But, in the E and B body world where 2/3rds of any one of those restored cars are Chinese metal, it's nice to still be able to put a C together with original Chrysler parts, something E and B builders don't have the luxury of. And although I'm not much of a matching numbers guy, I would think that it's not a stretch to harvest the VIN's from the cowl and the trunk edge and be done with that argument.

Incredible work, I love these extreme makeovers. I take it once you have it all lined up and welded together, you will be breaking down the front end and then removing the stub for a complete overhaul? I mean, your not going to just bolt on the fenders at this point and call it a day, right, LOL?

Got to admit the the thought of "how much of the original Hurst is left" did cross my mind. But, in the E and B body world where 2/3rds of any one of those restored cars are Chinese metal, it's nice to still be able to put a C together with original Chrysler parts, something E and B builders don't have the luxury of. And although I'm not much of a matching numbers guy, I would think that it's not a stretch to harvest the VIN's from the cowl and the trunk edge and be done with that argument.
Yes I will be disassembling her again. I will be rebuilding all of the suspension and freshening the engine and transmission up.

I would say that sometimes a restoration takes a lot of work/parts to happen. There would be no question if this was an E-body of any consequence. Back in the day, a rear clip would have been an acceptable repair method, and the end result would be that the car gets to drive another day. It sucks that your project turned out to be so difficult, but kudos to you for sticking with it, AND having the skills & patience to make it happen.

Clair

Thanks everyone. I will post a few pictures later this week of the final product as far as the metalwork goes. Once that is done I am going to get her on the hoist and start the work on the subframe.

IMG_3131.JPG
IMG_3130.JPG
IMG_3134.JPG

Well after finishing stripping the rest of the car today the Hurst went to the body shop this morning. It is supposed to be done by Christmas.

Done at the body shop. I'm working on the drive train now along with interior. I should be ready with my tasks when the body returns. I'll start posting pics of my engine and sub frame rebuild.
Bought this the other day for a reassembly guide when I start reassembling the car.
IMG_3139.JPG

Have researched this thread from its origins and find your workmanship top resto quality. The comments on originality I feel don't apply considering the gravity of rust damage found. Am thoroughly impressed by your commitment to this resto.

Back