My 300 Hurst restoration begins

A Hurst restoration!!! I already know I'm going to be soooo jealous!

Cool nice work.
Hope i'll be able to do so on mine.

Can you give us the paint code you will be using ? ( i suppose it will be an exact match of original )

Thanks everyone. Yes I am using the original paint code. I am trying to determine the gold color yet as I have heard it is a cadillac color.

IMG_5145.JPG

Sauterne Metallic: 1970 GM

DULUX: 5144DH

LUCITE: 5145L

I'm pretty sure this is what you are after. It's not a high gloss finish.

The 300/Hurst promotional cars were painted in "Hurst Gold" which is obviously different from the Sauterne Gold "mist".

Last edited:
OK :wtf: How did I miss a thread this cool? :confused:

I suppose I have become immune to the Hurst threads that are so often disappointing... Outstanding work sir.:thumbsup:

I'm not going to let my late arrival stop me from weighing in either... As a rule, for your personal driving pleasure... I don't give a rats arse about the numbers.:drama:

Just be aware, if you sell her someday... they may come back to haunt you. If the parts car VIN's are still on the sheet metal, I would advise that car's title be saved/transferred along with the Hurst's title... while it may not satisfy all jurisdictions, it should at the least, clear up any future questions regarding where the numbers came from and that they weren't from a stolen car. This usually gets into a sticky situation when someone starts representing a car for sale as a top dollar restoration, which yours certainly will be...

BTW, I suppose you're in a commercial business and were forced to work on the Camaro... :poke:
img_3026-jpg.jpg

I have vins installed correctly plus plenty of photo documentation. Heck watch an episode of Grave yard cars. They replace all this sheet metal and more on most of their builds. I'm not embarrassed of what was done. The Camaro is another guys project lol. Thanks everyone for following and responding to my posts. It has been a journey but will be fun to drive when done.
OK :wtf: How did I miss a thread this cool? :confused:

I suppose I have become immune to the Hurst threads that are so often disappointing... Outstanding work sir.:thumbsup:

I'm not going to let my late arrival stop me from weighing in either... As a rule, for your personal driving pleasure... I don't give a rats arse about the numbers.:drama:

Just be aware, if you sell her someday... they may come back to haunt you. If the parts car VIN's are still on the sheet metal, I would advise that car's title be saved/transferred along with the Hurst's title... while it may not satisfy all jurisdictions, it should at the least, clear up any future questions regarding where the numbers came from and that they weren't from a stolen car. This usually gets into a sticky situation when someone starts representing a car for sale as a top dollar restoration, which yours certainly will be...

BTW, I suppose you're in a commercial business and were forced to work on the Camaro... :poke:
View attachment 161252

I have vins installed correctly plus plenty of photo documentation. Heck watch an episode of Grave yard cars. They replace all this sheet metal and more on most of their builds. I'm not embarrassed of what was done. The Camaro is another guys project lol. Thanks everyone for following and responding to my posts. It has been a journey but will be fun to drive when done.
Believe me, I am a fan of your efforts... thanks for clarifying:thumbsup:

Received my sub frame and other parts back from the powder coater. Next step to start bolting new suspension on and drop engine and transmission in.
EC715E4A-B1FF-4DCF-9CE7-7B1933F332BF.jpeg
65F76641-39B7-4407-9B64-1E9790573BD9.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice! By the way, I saw this car on the weekend at a friends place. Nice eye candy. It looked very original.

DSCF3644.jpg
DSCF3645.jpg
DSCF3646.jpg
DSCF3647.jpg
DSCF3649.jpg

4A686627-FB70-4F09-9B80-34EAD695F39C.jpeg
Cleaned up my rear ended housing and painted it with Eastwood’s rust encapsulater even though I didn’t likely need too. Will be shooting it with ceramic coat chassis black paint this week and then reapply the old factory stamps on it when fully cured. Have to research one mark I couldn’t make out yet.

View attachment 173296 Cleaned up my rear ended housing and painted it with Eastwood’s rust encapsulater even though I didn’t likely need too. Will be shooting it with ceramic coat chassis black paint this week and then reapply the old factory stamps on it when fully cured. Have to research one mark I couldn’t make out yet.
Will you be painting the hogshead in a cast iron metal paint color? The housings were painted a semi gloss black while the center stayed natural metal. The brake backing plates were zinc phosphate color too.

Will you be painting the hogshead in a cast iron metal paint color? The housings were painted a semi gloss black while the center stayed natural metal. The brake backing plates were zinc phosphate color too.
Yes I am going to try and find a color to shoot that looks close.

Back